Friday, August 27, 2010

When the grave speaks



On a bright day, I was walking with my loved ones chatting happily. The sky was clear and the huge trees bordered the sides of the road. It was all so very beautiful. I was overjoyed, I felt very light at heart. I heard the chirping of the birds and also saw beautiful butterflies fluttering near the bloom. I was feeling very lucky about myself and for all that I had. I was laughing heartily and enjoyed the love of my loved ones.


When I was laughing, I suddenly found everything becoming dark. The clear sky was getting covered with thick layer of dark and heavy clouds. I turned around to look at my loved ones but they were not in sight. They had all disappeared. I was utterly confused. I didn’t know what was going around me. The road became dry and cracked all over. I looked at the trees which were dead now. The lustrous greenery was missing. I also couldn’t hear the sound of the birds. My bewilderment was creating a panic in my heart. I called out for my loved ones but to my disappointment I couldn’t see nor hear anybody around me. The air was becoming very chill and I started to shiver. The wind started blowing violently. I was horrified. I was praying that all these should end immediately. I wanted to see the light and my loved ones again. I kept searching for them all the time but couldn’t find them at all. At that very moment I felt some force pulling me hard in forward direction. I could neither stop my legs nor was able to call for help.


The force pulled me toward a tall gate and stopped me there. The gate was covered with deadly creepers and moss. All of a sudden the gate opened inwards making a high pitch squeaky noise and the bats started to make odd sounds and fluttered away from their hibernating trees. My heart skipped a beat and I felt an urge to run away from that place at that very instance. I was crying but couldn’t wipe my own tears. My hands became numb. It was a “Graveyard”.


Once again I felt the force; it was now pushing me inside the yard. I heard the owl hoot. My body started to shiver but I was sweating out. Over the other end of the graveyard I saw a bright light glowing from a digging in the ground. The force kept pushing me towards it. Along the path I kept tumbling over skulls and bones. Tears were flowing from my eyes but I couldn’t help it. I was too weak to fight against the force. When I reached the digging I saw a ghastly figure lying inside. It was all white. I was scared to death and was gasping for air. I felt like my heart had stopped functioning. After a few minutes the figure rose from the digging and flew towards me. I felt hopeless; I wanted to collapse that very instant. I stood there stiff like a lifeless statue. As the figure came close to me, I felt my eyes open wide in astonishment. It was “Me”. My face and body were white and wrinkled and was like thick white vapor. I was seeing through it. It came close to me and I saw its eyes open and then heard it ask in a deadly tone “What have you brought for me?” it held me by my shoulders and again repeated the same words. I couldn’t move. My head started aching very badly and it was becoming unbearable. Then it shuck me violently and said “Tell me, what you have brought for me? Tell me…..Tell me……….TELL ME!” I felt a deadly longingness in its voice. I started crying. I wanted to free myself from its hold. I forced my mouth to utter “Nothing” Its eyes grew bigger after hearing the word nothing. It looked at me and after a long unbreakable silence it started to laugh. Little by little its laughter grew violent and ear piercing. The bats stated to flutter all over the place. It said “Nothing?” “Just Nothing to the grave?” and started laughing again “ha ha ha ha haaaaa………………………….” The noise was unbearable. I closed my eyes crying hopelessly and sank to the ground.


I was disturbed, felt as if I was violently shaken. When I opened my eyes, I saw my loved ones standing around me looking at me worried. I looked around and saw those green trees, butterflies and birds. I was still sweating and breathing hard. Everyone around me was asking me what had happened to me but I was not able to reply them coz I was still not out of the deadly vision. Tears were flowing from my eyes and I was feeling weak and nervous. I kept looking at them with despair. They were impelling me to speak and at the end I said “Nothing!” but this time there was something behind this nothing. I wiped my tears and tried to force a smile, nodded my head and again repeated “Nothing!” They all were relieved and continued to walk happily chatting like before. I was with them smiling but this time I had the vision of My Ghost flashing in my inward eye and the word Nothing kept ringing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment